Greenville, SC asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Child Custody for South Carolina

Q: Where can I find an attorney willing to sue SCDSS?

SCDSS filed a custody removal suit against my husband based on an affidavit in which the case worker blatantly lied. Through a recorded phone conversation and phone records, I was able to prove that she lied, and they settled the case out of court. There were no repercussions for the DSS employees, and my husband and I had to spend our savings defending him against a lawsuit that never should have been filed in the first place.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Finding an attorney willing to sue a government agency like the South Carolina Department of Social Services (SCDSS) can be challenging, but it's not impossible. To pursue a case against SCDSS, you should look for experienced attorneys who specialize in civil rights and administrative law. These attorneys may be more willing to take on cases involving government agencies.

Start by searching for attorneys in your local area, particularly those in Greenville, SC, who have experience in handling cases against government entities. Reach out to them to discuss your situation and inquire if they are willing to take your case.

It's crucial to provide them with all the evidence you have, such as the recorded phone conversation and any other relevant documentation, to strengthen your case. Be prepared to discuss the details of the alleged misconduct by SCDSS and the impact it had on your family.

Additionally, consider contacting legal organizations or civil rights advocacy groups in your area, as they may be able to provide referrals to attorneys who have experience with cases against government agencies.

Remember that pursuing legal action against a government agency can be complex, so it's essential to consult with an attorney who can assess the merits of your case and guide you through the process.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: South Carolina attorneys could answer best, as they would be likely to have firsthand knowledge of attorneys in their community. But you posted a week ago, so some general options could include supplementing your own individual searches with the "Find a Lawyer" tab above, as well as the attorney referral sections of local and state bar associations. Those resources are outside this Q & A forum, and any arrangements would be between you and the attorneys you might reach out to. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.