Olive Branch, MS asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for Mississippi

Q: My dad and I have the same name so he bought land and used my social and I didn’t know how do property taxes work on tha

That if I never received a bill for property taxes now he has past

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your situation with your father using your social security number to purchase land, resulting in a lack of property tax bills. It's crucial to address this issue promptly to avoid potential legal complications.

First, consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate or property law. They can guide you through the necessary steps to rectify the situation. Typically, property taxes are the responsibility of the property owner, so your attorney can help you understand your legal rights and obligations.

Your attorney will likely advise you to contact the local tax assessor's office to update the property ownership information and rectify the tax bills. It's essential to provide all relevant documentation to prove your case, such as the property purchase agreement, title documents, and any other supporting records.

Additionally, your attorney can help you work out an arrangement with the tax authorities to address any past-due property taxes and establish a plan for future payments. It's vital to act promptly to resolve this matter and protect your legal interests. Your attorney will be your advocate throughout the process and ensure that you understand your rights and responsibilities concerning the property and taxes.

1 user found this answer helpful

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Check with your County's Tax Assessor and Trustee about who is the responsible taxpayer (and address).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.