Grand Haven, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: An attorney was hired by a proposed PR, someone else was elected PR. Does the estate have to pay the attorney fees?

The attorney has made a claim against the estate, provided a brief description, no billing, no agreement, was not hired by the PR of the estate. Did not assist the PR of the estate. The PR appointed has not used anything from the attorney. What can be done to fight the attorney fees? What type of motion, order, etc. What needs to be filed with the court to object the claim? Is the estate better off paying than drowning in additional legal fees?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Assuming the PR has an attorney (and if they don't they SHOULD!) the attorney hired can respond to the claim.

There are deadlines for responding to a claim so be sure you adhere to those deadlines and if you don't already have an attorney get one ASAP to insure you have time to object to the claim!

This is not an 'easy DIY' situation. You need representation!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.