Mount Sterling, KY asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Wife & I were scammed out of a place and $1,275. What do we do?

Wife & I were going to rent an apartment from someone claiming place was ready. It was far from it. Recently found out this situation has been happening to multiple people by the same landlord. Can we get anything back? They only gave us a small portion back. We are still out $975 and now homeless. What can we do?

2 Lawyer Answers
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Given the description, you may file a complaint in small claims court against the landlord. Whether you can succeed will depend, in large part, on the language in the agreement you signed. Try and identify portions of the landlord's responsibilities that the landlord failed to perform. Contrast that to how you performed your duties under the contract. Good luck.

Timothy Denison and Dimitrios Makridis agree with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Many more facts are necessary to determine an answer to your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.