Louisville, KY asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Kentucky

Q: Can I be suspended for another employees mistake but no action against that employee just me?

My manager told one employee that we wished it was me that made the mistake so he could fire me so instead he suspended me for 5 days no pay but nothing to the employee that made the mistake.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Kentucky, if you are suspended for another employee's mistake with no action taken against the employee who actually made the mistake, especially if there's an expressed wish by the manager that you had made the mistake for the purpose of firing you, this could potentially be indicative of unfair treatment or discrimination. Employment law generally requires that disciplinary actions be based on the individual's conduct rather than on unrelated or discriminatory reasons. If your suspension appears to be based on personal bias, preference, or any form of discrimination rather than your own actions or performance, it could be grounds for a complaint against your employer. It may be advisable to document the incident, any related communications, and the disparate treatment, and consult with an employment law attorney or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to explore your options for addressing this issue.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.