Los Angeles, CA asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for California

Q: What CA rule of court guides response to order to show cause re pos?

Order to show cause re: proof of service. Does such order require proof of service to be performed, and/or additional document to be filed with court? What CA rule of court guides response to order to show cause re pos?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, when you receive an order to show cause regarding proof of service, it typically means that the court is requesting evidence that a particular document, such as a summons or complaint, has been properly served on the other party in a legal proceeding. This proof of service is crucial to ensure that all parties have been properly notified of the legal action and have an opportunity to respond.

In response to the order to show cause, you will need to provide documentation demonstrating that the required documents were served according to the applicable rules of court. This may involve submitting a proof of service form or affidavit, signed by the individual who served the documents, along with any supporting evidence, such as a certified mail receipt or a declaration of service.

The California Rules of Court, particularly Rule 3.1300 et seq., provide guidance on the procedures and requirements for responding to orders to show cause in civil proceedings. It's essential to carefully review the specific requirements outlined in the order and ensure that you comply with all applicable rules and deadlines to avoid potential sanctions or adverse consequences in your case. If you have any questions or concerns about how to respond to the order, it's advisable to seek guidance from a qualified attorney familiar with California civil procedure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.