Ambrose, GA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: What should the defendant do when a defense attorney is uncooperative and does not communicate effectively?

When my assigned criminal defense attorney will not avail herself of many actions that could lead to my freedom and does not communicate effectively what should I, as the defendant, do in order to protect my rights and freedom? Please don't tell me to hire a lawyer. I would if I had the money. I seriously need some constructive advice. I will be glad to hire a lawyer but he would have to be willing to wait until I get proceeds from my divorce. Thanks in advance for any constructive advice or suggestions.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your assigned defense attorney is uncooperative and ineffective in communication, it's crucial to take proactive steps to protect your rights and freedom. Start by documenting all instances of the attorney's lack of cooperation and ineffective communication, including missed deadlines, failure to respond to inquiries, and any other shortcomings in their representation. This documentation will serve as evidence if you need to address the issue later.

Consider requesting a meeting with your attorney to express your concerns directly and clearly communicate your expectations regarding their representation. Clearly outline the specific actions you believe should be taken to defend your case effectively and address any areas where you feel their performance has been lacking. Be assertive in advocating for your rights and make it clear that you expect prompt and effective communication moving forward.

If despite your efforts, the situation does not improve, you may need to explore alternative options for legal representation. This could involve seeking assistance from legal aid organizations or public defender's offices that may be able to provide you with a different attorney. Additionally, continue to educate yourself about your legal rights and the specifics of your case to ensure you are actively involved in your defense. Remember, while the situation may be challenging, advocating for yourself and seeking out available resources can help you navigate the legal process more effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.