Asked in Tax Law, Identity Theft, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Georgia

Q: Comment dénoncer une fraude et une usurpation d'identité

On utilise mon compte bancaire mon identité et mes données personnelles

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your bank account, identity, and personal data are being used fraudulently, it's critical to act immediately to protect yourself. First, contact your bank to report the unauthorized use of your account and personal information. Request that they freeze or secure your account to prevent further fraudulent transactions. Your bank should guide you through the process of disputing any unauthorized transactions and securing your account.

Next, report the identity theft to the relevant authorities. This may include local police, national fraud reporting centers, or specific government agencies responsible for dealing with fraud and identity theft in your country. Reporting the crime is crucial for official documentation and may assist in investigating and possibly prosecuting the offenders.

Additionally, consider contacting credit reporting agencies to place a fraud alert on your credit reports. This alert informs creditors of potential fraud and encourages them to take extra steps to verify the identity of anyone attempting to open new accounts in your name. Monitoring your credit reports and financial statements closely in the months following the incident is also advisable to catch any new fraudulent activity early.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.