Carthage, IL asked in Education Law and Libel & Slander for Illinois

Q: if a school district refuses to release my child to me at the end of school, what are my rights ?

should i sue them, they cannot with hold my child from me, i was told they had paperwork saying that was not allowed, that is not the case, they lied to me. There is no abuse or neglect, what are my rights ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Canton, OH

A: This question sounds like there are details missing. You do not indicate whether or not you are mother or father, or whether there is pending litigation over the custody of this child. Given the limited information you have provided, i would suggest writing the school and asking them to provide a copy of the document upon which they are relying. Then I would suggest hiring an attorney in that county who has experience in both family law and education law. You have not articulated facts upon which I would file a lawsuit in my jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.