Beebe, AR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas

Q: In Arkansas, when should you take legal action against a landlord regarding a missing deposit?

As of Dec 31, 2023, my lease has been over and I vacated the rental property on Nov 27, 2023. Since a brief discussion on written notice (phrased confusingly in the rental agreement), I have not heard anything from my previous landlord. After a month with no deposit into my account, I reached out for an update on my deposit (what I would be getting back and when to expect it). I made initial contact on Feb 5, 2024 via text. In addition, I called (couldn't leave a voice mail due to a full inbox) and sent another text on Sat, Feb 10, 2024. I know the landlord has 60 days to return the deposit and if needed, an itemized list of what was deducted. Are there any specific steps I should take before I seek legal counsel to get my deposit back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: File suit against the exact entity that took your deposit. If there is a term in the lease, then breach of contract. If not, then conversion. But expect that the owner will claim damages to be surcharged against the deposit at trial. Collection of a judgment may require an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.