Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Juvenile Law and Native American Law for Oklahoma

Q: Can regain your parental rights after your rights have been terminated?

I had my rights terminated when my daughter was 3 now she's 15 almost 16 and is having issues in the home with her adopted parents and I was wondering if there's anything I can do get my rights back?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Oklahoma, once parental rights have been terminated, the decision is generally considered final and irreversible. This means that the legal relationship between a parent and a child is permanently severed, making it extremely challenging to regain parental rights after termination. However, each case is unique, and the specifics can significantly influence potential outcomes.

If your daughter is experiencing issues in her adoptive home, there are pathways to ensure her safety and well-being, although these may not directly involve regaining parental rights. One option could be to report any concerns to child welfare agencies in Oklahoma, who are tasked with investigating allegations of abuse or neglect. Their primary goal is to ensure the safety and well-being of children.

For personal guidance and to explore any legal options that might be available to you, consulting with an attorney who specializes in family law within your jurisdiction is advisable. An attorney can provide advice tailored to the specifics of your situation, including whether there are any exceptional circumstances that might influence your case. While directly regaining parental rights may be unlikely, there could be other ways to be involved in your daughter's life or to ensure her safety, depending on the details of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.