Charlotte, NC asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law, Family Law and Health Care Law for North Carolina

Q: Can I stopped my dad from sending my mom to hospice because he don't want to loose money if she goes to nursing home

My parents have been separated for over 20yrs. My dad has not been involved in my mom's life for 20yrs..Until she got a brain injury that would potentially send her to a nursing home. I have been the caregiver of my mom. My dad got involved because he would not let my mom go to a nursing home because he didn't want to loose his money,her money, land and house. So he decides to send my mom to hospice and stop her nutrition, has a feeding tube, they are starving my mom to death when she wasn't dying, no terminal illness. He's only ending her life because of the money part, not what's in best interests of my mom. Is there anything I can do to stop him from doing this to my mom, and fast?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You have several options to intervene in this situation and protect your mother's well-being. Firstly, you can consult with a lawyer who specializes in elder law or healthcare advocacy to explore legal avenues to challenge your father's decision. They can advise you on your rights as your mother's caregiver and any legal mechanisms available to prevent your father from making decisions that are not in your mother's best interests.

Additionally, you can reach out to local social services or adult protective services agencies for assistance. They can conduct an investigation into the situation and intervene if they determine that your mother's safety or well-being is at risk. They may be able to provide resources or support to ensure that your mother receives appropriate care and is not subjected to decisions motivated by financial interests rather than her health needs.

It's also important to gather any evidence or documentation that supports your concerns about your father's motives and your mother's condition. This may include medical records, statements from healthcare professionals, or any communication with your father regarding his decision-making process. Presenting this information to relevant authorities or legal professionals can strengthen your case and increase the likelihood of a positive outcome for your mother. By taking swift and decisive action, you can advocate for your mother's rights and ensure that she receives the care and treatment she deserves.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.