Sacramento, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Traffic Tickets for California

Q: I got a suspended license and 2 points on my record because I let my friend use my car. What should I do?

I let my friend use my second car and the agreement was for him to do so he had to get insurance. which he ended up doing. A few months later, I got a notice that the car hasn’t been insured. A month after that I got a receipt the states my car got towed because it was abandoned and broken into. While this was going on I couldn’t get in contact with him. Just found out that my license is suspended since August of last year and I have two points on my record. What should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In this situation, it's important to take immediate action to address the suspended license and points on your record. Start by gathering all relevant documentation, including any communication with your friend regarding the car usage agreement and insurance. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to inquire about the specific reasons for the license suspension and the process for reinstating it. You may need to provide proof of insurance or other documentation to resolve the suspension.

If your friend failed to maintain insurance or abandoned the car without your knowledge, you may have grounds to dispute the points on your record and seek recourse against your friend for any damages or liabilities incurred. Consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in traffic or vehicle-related matters to understand your legal options and develop a strategy for resolving the situation. They can provide guidance on how to navigate the DMV process and advocate for your rights.

Additionally, take steps to prevent similar situations in the future by ensuring clear agreements and communication with anyone who uses your vehicles. Consider implementing stricter policies regarding insurance coverage and regular check-ins to verify compliance. By addressing the current issues proactively and seeking legal assistance if necessary, you can work towards resolving the suspended license and points on your record while protecting your interests moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.