Austin, TX asked in Contracts, Family Law, Products Liability and Small Claims for Texas

Q: My sister will not return her phone

I have a plan with Verizon and my sister is on my account. She hasn’t paid her portion of the bill in a few months, so I have been paying so the service won’t be disconnected. We are both still paying off our phones, it’s about $700 left to pay off per phone. Ive suspended her line but she won’t return her phone. I'm in Texas and she is in Illinois.

Seeing as it’s under my account I will be charged the full price of the phone if it’s not returned, what should/can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: After paying Verizon, you can sue your sister for the money she owes you in small claims court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.