South Haven, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: I am the PR and our probate is done but not closed. The house was sold & my attorney didn't have time to provide a deed

so the realtors office took care of it.

Now my attorney wants to charge me more for a deed to a small piece of vacant property left to my sister and I. I am giving my half of the property to my sister. Is the property now part of the estate?

Can I send a quick claim deed to the attorney that issues the property from the estate to my sister. Will that allow the attorney to close the probate? Then as PR of the estate can I sign the deed over to my sister so it can be registered in her name with the county. I would so appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you so very much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you already have an attorney it would be inappropriate to answer here, however, since there is no such thing as a ‘quick claim deed’ it IS clear you need legal help to complete the probate.

If there is property in the estate it isn’t ‘done’. If you want a second opinion you will need to hire an attorney for that however nothing you’ve said implies the attorney you already have is wrong.

If you are unsure about something I’d suggest you start by discussing it with your attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.