Saint Clair Shores, MI asked in Estate Planning for Michigan

Q: I am in Michigan. Can my father name me as his successor trustee and sole beneficiary?

I have 4 other siblings but my father has disinherited them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven G Cozart
Steven G Cozart
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Troy, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Yes, your father can disinherit your siblings. Be advised that your siblings may contest this in Probate Court by claiming that he was unduly influenced to do so, or that he was not of sound mind when he made that decision. These types of probate challenges can be expensive and emotionally damaging to your family members. Your father should consult with a qualified estate planning attorney.

Another potential problem, if your father names you as the only successor trustee, what happens if you become, disabled, incapacitated or you die before your father? Please schedule a consultation with an attorney for your father to learn about his options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.