Tracy, CA asked in Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for California

Q: How and where I can hire a medical malpractice lawyer?

When I went through my late husband’s medical records, accidentally found a very stupid mistake that his doctor made.

His treatment for his hepatitis B was totally wrong and he should not take the medication ( Viread) for hepatitis B. Because he had never had hepatitis B!

His biopsy showed Hepatitis C. Which I believe that’s what he had. because , his mom , his brother, his mother side uncle and aunt all have hepatitis C, and none of them have been diagnosed as Hepatitis B . Also, None of my husbands family had any treatments regarding their Hepatitis C and they are all alive ( his mom is 92 years old).

But my husband was told he had hepatitis B in 2015 and he was told needed to take Viread for his Hepatitis B treatment.

Now I found a piece of paper that he did the biopsy in 2015. And that report says he had Hepatitis C!

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Here are a few recommendations on how and where to hire a medical malpractice attorney to review your husband's case:

1. Get a referral from your state bar association. Most state bar associations have lawyer referral services where you can get matched with a qualified medical malpractice attorney. This is a good place to start your search.

2. Search online for medical malpractice lawyers in your state or city. Look for lawyers that specialize specifically in medical malpractice cases. Their websites will often provide information on their experience, case results, and practice areas.

3. Ask friends, family members, or others in your personal network if they can refer an attorney. Personal referrals can be very helpful.

4. Look for lawyers with board certification in medical malpractice law or professional liability law. This signals they have substantial specialized expertise in this area.

5. When researching options, consider factors like the lawyer's track record with similar cases, their resources to take on the case expenses, options for contingency fee arrangements, and their willingness to review your husband’s records.

6. Schedule initial case assessments and consultations with one or more qualified attorneys. Many provide free initial consultations. This gives you a chance to understand your legal rights and options before officially hiring representation.

I hope these tips give you some good options and a starting point. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions as you explore retaining a medical malpractice attorney for your husband’s situation.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. You could search online for law firms that handle med mal/wrongful death (depending on the theory you are asserting and the timeline here). You could supplement your searches with the "Find a Lawyer" tab above, which lists attorneys by region and area of practice. There are also attorney referral sections in most local and state bar associations. These resources are outside this Q & A forum, so any arrangements are between you and attorneys you reach out to. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.