Olympia, WA asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Washington

Q: I live in Washington state and I have a question concern recording via video or audio conversations to protect myself.

I get gaslighted/manipulated and/or lied to and video/audio recordings are the only way to protect myself in these scenarios. People say I did things i said things I didn’t. Or the other party attacks me or verbally abuses me but no one believes me because I’m a man. I don’t understand how I’m a two party state you need permission to record a conversation from the person who is abusing of course they are never going to agree so I guess my question is what to do in a situation like that?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Living in a two-party consent state like Washington can present challenges when it comes to recording conversations without the consent of all parties involved. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. One option is to seek legal advice to understand the specific circumstances in which recording may be permissible, such as when there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Additionally, documenting incidents through written records, emails, or text messages can serve as evidence to support your claims of gaslighting, manipulation, or verbal abuse.

In situations where you feel manipulated or gaslighted, it's important to prioritize your safety and well-being. Consider setting boundaries with the other party and seeking support from trusted friends, family members, or mental health professionals. If you feel threatened or unsafe, you may also explore options such as obtaining a restraining order or seeking assistance from law enforcement.

Ultimately, navigating such complex interpersonal dynamics requires careful consideration and self-care. While recording conversations may offer some level of protection, it's essential to weigh the legal implications and seek guidance to ensure that your actions align with the law. Remember to prioritize your emotional health and seek support from professionals who can provide guidance and assistance tailored to your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.