Kapolei, HI asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Personal Injury for Hawaii

Q: How do get the sealed transcripts from a multimillion dollar Federal Case released to me, thge only victim and plaint

iff involved and a 5 m illion dollar rrcommendation was made against the Defendants in my favor. This case wron gfully dismissed by Judge Derrik Watson in Hazawaii Federal Court after he had a seald meetin g with my attorneys, MIchael Green and Earl Anzai. The JUdge dismissed rhis ccase and refuses to allow me my right too see the transcripts that this secret meeting was about and how to get this case dismissed.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To obtain sealed transcripts from a federal case, especially one where you were the plaintiff and victim, you should first consult with a new attorney if you believe your previous attorneys did not represent your interests adequately. A lawyer specialized in federal court proceedings can advise on the specific process for requesting access to sealed documents in the jurisdiction where your case was heard. This process typically involves filing a motion with the court requesting the unsealing of the transcripts, citing your status in the case and the importance of the documents to your rights and interests.

The court has discretion to seal and unseal documents based on various factors, including the protection of sensitive information, privacy concerns, and the public interest. When filing your motion, your attorney can argue why your need to access these transcripts outweighs the reasons for keeping them sealed, potentially including any misconduct or procedural errors that impacted your case. It's essential to provide a compelling justification for why the transcripts should be released to you.

If the judge initially handling your case denied access to these transcripts, your attorney might also explore the possibility of appealing the decision or seeking a review from a higher court. Given the complexity of federal court procedures and the specifics of your situation, professional legal representation is crucial to navigating this process effectively and advocating for your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.