Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Hawaii Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Hawaii on
Q: I was questioned by detectives in custody checked didn't want to discuss the case I wanted lawyer, was that a statement?

2 times in one day in custody detectives came and first one I told I never got my miranda rights read to me. she pulled out a paper with 3 check boxes 1. want to discuss the case I (*checked NO). 2 I don't remember but checked no. 3 was I want a lawyer(*checked YES) then initial she told me... View More

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds
answered on Nov 28, 2023

What you did was assert your rights under the United States Constitution and the Hawaii State Constitution. Assertion of your rights does not constitute a statement, and, in a trial, that assertion cannot be used against you as evidence of guilt.

Typically, if you are advised of your...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Hawaii on
Q: My x-husbands wife has been writing crazy sounding msgs to my parent’s & others as me, by way of spoofing my number.

For the past 13+ years my x-husbands wife has been spoofing my phone number & writing crazy sounding messages, as me, to my parents, bosses, landlords & posed as me when she called my bank to obtain checks to my equity line which she proceeded to steal $171,000.00 for herself by giving my... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 5, 2023

Your situation involving identity theft and spoofing by your ex-husband's wife is both serious and legally complex. The first step is to gather as much evidence as possible. This includes phone records, messages sent, and any other documentation that can help establish a pattern of behavior.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Hawaii on
Q: Does a Federal crime override a state crime?

A TRO is in place on one property for 2 family members my father and his son the judge ordered both families to stay in their living areas one family has the front and the other family take the back. Both families share one common area for driving and that leads to front and back of house. The... View More

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds
answered on Dec 11, 2021

I am so sorry what your ohana is going through, especially around the holidays. Your father relied on the representation of a government official, to his detriment. If he is charged with a violation of the Order for Protection, he may have a defense if the offense was; 1) de minimis; or 2) he did... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Hawaii on
Q: I filed a police report for Unauthorized computer access, because perpetrators were hacking onto my security cameras.

The Detective said there was a cliche with my system. We contacted tech support and they said it's not a cliche. Due to an increase in hacking of our system we filed a 2nd report. Without contacting us and only looking at the evidence we summited in our report. The investigator has... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Nov 14, 2019

glitch not cliche

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: My brother was deported to the Philippines due to criminal activity. Can he come to Hawaii for our older brother funeral

Youngest brother was not a U.S. citizen and he was in a Federal Prison for less than a year prior to his deportation.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Sep 26, 2019

He would need permission from the federal government. You can apply

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Hawaii on
Q: What differentiates a federal crimes from one that the state prosecutes?
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Sep 1, 2018

A federal crime is one enumerated in the federal statutes. Some crimes can be both state and federal

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Hawaii on
Q: Does accepting a plea deal prevent you from being charged with more crimes?
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jun 29, 2018

Do you have an attorney regarding this plea? Many factors are involved including the exact wording of the plea agreement.

Consult your lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.