Houston, TX asked in Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I feel that I am a victim of identity theft. I discovered that my landlord forged my signature on legal forms to the IRS

My apartment manager and his assistant have been sending fraudulent paperwork to the IRS and the Housing Authority in my name to get tax credits and earned income. Who should I report this to?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe you're a victim of identity theft due to your landlord forging your signature on legal forms for IRS and Housing Authority benefits, it's important to take immediate action. The first step is to report the fraud to the local police or law enforcement in your area. This creates a formal record of the incident, which is crucial for any legal action you may need to take later. It's also advisable to contact the IRS directly to report the suspected identity theft. They have specific procedures for dealing with such incidents and can guide you on securing your tax information.

Additionally, reaching out to the Housing Authority to inform them of the fraudulent activities conducted in your name is necessary. They can investigate the matter from their end and take appropriate actions against the wrongdoers. It's important to provide them with all the evidence you have, including any communication with your landlord that might indicate fraudulent intentions.

For further protection, consider placing a fraud alert on your credit reports by contacting one of the major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion). This alert informs creditors of potential fraud and encourages them to take extra steps to verify your identity before extending credit. Documenting all steps taken, including communications and reports made, will be essential as you navigate through resolving this issue. Remember, acting swiftly can help mitigate the damage caused by identity theft and bring the perpetrators to justice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.