Hillsborough, NJ asked in Divorce, Domestic Violence and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: If I do not agree with the Judge's decision in my divorce trial, can I file an appeal or sue my ex-husband?

This is a domestic violence case with extensive misuse of marital funds and loss.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If the trial is over and the court has ruled on all issues outstanding and has issued a decision ( from the bench or in writing), you have the right to seek an appeal of his rulings to the appellate division. There is a specific time frame for the filing of an appeal, specific documents that must be filed, etc - so this is not the type of matter that you should ever consider doing without an experienced divorce lawyer, who regularly handles appellate matters. It is also expensive to file an appeal, so be prepared to spend money on the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.