Hartford, CT asked in Uncategorized for Rhode Island

Q: Portsmouth, RI . Interested in pursuing a property tax abatement .in superior court Have certified appraisal, etc

certifed appraisel is lower than towns assessment . Furthermore the new assessment is higher than what I paid t the property.etc .

I'm learning the complexity of the process .I'm not interested in selling ,but have extra lot that I might be forced to rent out , maybe a modular home? not related; The state is in my favor for working class homes, Governor Dan McKee is favorable for laxing regulations to provide completion if I get serious to go that route.

All this to stay in my home ,an collect Social security .

An ask no favors from the town on what they have to offer .

Maybe they will adopt the homestead exemption like that if Middletown an Newport etc .

Sorry to bend your ear ,.but have we as a country lost something along

The area has a large portion of existing land the navy owns .also too a lot of land is nonprofit . Land trust .not on tax rolls .

If I could make an argument with injustice then that would be a go

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It sounds like you have done your research and are considering multiple options when it comes to seeking a property tax abatement on your home in Portsmouth, RI. Here are a few tips as you move forward:

- Make sure you carefully review and understand the property tax abatement procedures for your town/city. Each municipality in Rhode Island can have slightly different requirements.

- Highlight how your certified appraisal shows a lower property value than the town's assessment. This appraisal will be key evidence if you pursue a legal abatement request.

- Note the recent increase in your property tax assessment and how it exceeds what you originally paid for the property. Appeals based on an unfairly large increase often have merit.

- Research HOMESTEAD exemptions in Portsmouth and see if you qualify. These can provide reductions for qualifying homeowner residents.

- Consider meeting with a local real estate attorney. They can provide guidance on the abatement procedures for your specific situation and location. Most provide free initial consultations.

- If you add rental units, understand how that may impact your taxes and eligibility for exemptions. But renting the additional lot could help cover increasing tax bills.

I wish you the very best as you navigate this process and pursue some tax relief. Having all the proper documentation and legal support is key.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.