Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas

Q: Can I sue landlord for improper eviction?

I was served papers to vacate my rental, not an eviction notice, I moved some of my property but not all due to mold in the house and me feeling sick around it. I have a text from the landlord asking if I had moved out and I never replied, now they have fully removed all of my property ( 3 bedrooms sets, living room, refrigerator included) except my washer and dryer and have now rented it out with my washer and dryer included and raised the price $250. I was never late on rent, but my rental payment was $1000 for 4 years and i was told that my lease had ended and they didn’t want to renew with me. I think it was to raise the price, can I sue for removing my property, but me never confirming I had moved out or being served eviction papers?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you provided, it seems that your landlord may have wrongfully removed your property without following proper legal procedures for eviction. To determine if you have a valid case to sue your landlord, consider the following:

1. Lease agreement: Review your lease to see if the landlord violated any terms, such as the notice period required for ending the tenancy or the process for handling abandoned property.

2. Eviction process: Each state has specific laws regarding eviction. Generally, landlords must provide proper notice and obtain a court order before removing a tenant's belongings. If your landlord did not follow the legal eviction process, they may be liable for damages.

3. Property removal: If the landlord removed your property without your consent and without proper legal authority, this could be considered theft or unlawful conversion of your property.

4. Mold issues: If the mold in the rental unit caused health problems and made the property uninhabitable, you might have additional claims against the landlord for failing to maintain a habitable living space.

To pursue legal action, you should:

1. Document everything: Gather all relevant documents, including your lease, rent payment records, communication with your landlord, and any evidence of the mold issue and your belongings being removed.

2. Consult with a lawyer: Contact a landlord-tenant attorney or a legal aid organization in your area to discuss your case and determine the best course of action. They can help you understand your rights and the strength of your potential lawsuit.

3. Consider small claims court: Depending on the value of your removed property and the damages you've suffered, you may be able to file a claim in small claims court, which is generally faster and less expensive than filing a lawsuit in a higher court.

Remember that each case is unique, and the success of your lawsuit will depend on the specific facts and evidence supporting your claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.