Jonesboro, AR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas

Q: I am looking for the Arkansas Code Annotated section regarding a landlord selling a rental without notifying the tenant

In some research, I have found where it indicates you must give your tenants at least 60 days’ notice before showing the property or allowing any access for inspections. But then in other areas, it said the landlord only needs to give 24-48 hour notice. I would like to write a proper letter using Arkansas codes to back up what I am saying.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Arkansas, the relevant statute is Arkansas Code § 18-17-701, which addresses a landlord's right to access a rental property. This statute does not specifically address the situation of a landlord selling a rental property without notifying the tenant. However, it does provide guidance on the notice required for a landlord to enter the property:

1. According to § 18-17-701(b)(1), a landlord must give the tenant at least 24 hours' notice of their intent to enter the dwelling unit to inspect the premises, make necessary or agreed repairs, alterations, or improvements, supply necessary or agreed services, or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors.

2. The notice must be in writing and specify the date and time of the proposed entry, as well as the purpose for entering (§ 18-17-701(b)(2)).

3. The landlord may only enter at reasonable times (§ 18-17-701(b)(1)).

It's important to note that while the Arkansas Code does not explicitly require a 60-day notice for showing the property or allowing access for inspections related to a sale, your lease agreement might include additional requirements or protections. Always refer to your specific lease agreement in addition to state laws.

If you believe your landlord has violated the Arkansas Code or your lease agreement, you may want to consult with a local attorney specializing in landlord-tenant law to help you draft an appropriate letter and protect your rights as a tenant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.