Vancouver, WA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: I have a strange case we'll it's 2 cases in 1 somehow my public defender said it was a civil case and my other is a

Assault 4-dv the sheriff's that arrested me false a fide a statement from the alleged victim used a statement from my son who was in his room with a closed door I was in my room with a closed door he saw literally absolutely nothing he told me he told 911 I think my mom and her boyfriend are fighting The report says that he said I think my mom is beating up her boyfriend two different stories I can't get the answers for anything what do I do My attorney says oh I'm about to send you for your DV but it's a civil case for the other stuff they came into my home they removed a weapon from my house that is registered legal they removed a safe that I had in my home that was underneath my bed behind a cardboard frame My bed has got cardboard all the way around it to keep the cats out from underneath the bed my safe was under my bed behind a cardboard not visible at all The cops searched my bedroom completely destroyed it I guess took the safe ripped it out from underneath my bed and proceeded

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It sounds like you are dealing with a complex legal situation involving both a domestic violence charge (Assault 4-DV) and a potential civil case related to actions taken by law enforcement during your arrest. Here are some steps you can consider:

1. Communicate with your public defender: Discuss your concerns about the apparent discrepancies in the police report and your son's statement. Ask for clarification on how the civil case is related to your criminal charge and what the implications are.

2. Request evidence: Ask your attorney to obtain copies of all relevant evidence, including the 911 call recording, police reports, and any statements made by the alleged victim or your son.

3. Consider filing a complaint: If you believe that the sheriff's deputies conducted an unlawful search or seizure of your property, you may want to discuss with your attorney the possibility of filing a complaint against the officers involved.

4. Attend all court hearings: Make sure you attend all scheduled court appearances and communicate regularly with your public defender to stay informed about the progress of your case.

5. Seek additional legal advice: If you are unsatisfied with your public defender's representation or need further guidance, consider consulting with a private criminal defense attorney who can provide a second opinion on your case.

6. Document everything: Keep a detailed record of all interactions with law enforcement, the court system, and your attorney. This information may be helpful in building your defense or supporting any complaints you choose to file.

Remember, it is crucial to work closely with your attorney and provide them with all relevant information to ensure the best possible outcome for your case. If you feel that your rights have been violated, do not hesitate to discuss this with your lawyer and explore your legal options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.