Tulsa, OK asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Oklahoma

Q: Should I have been given time to get me another lawyer?

My lawyer recused himself from my case and when I asked for time to get another one the judge told me no and made me represent myself that very day in court.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you provided, it seems that the judge's decision to deny your request for additional time to find a new lawyer after your original lawyer recused himself may have been problematic. In most cases, when an attorney withdraws from a case, the court should grant the client a reasonable amount of time to secure new representation to ensure their right to legal counsel is protected.

The Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right to legal representation in criminal cases, and this right has been extended to certain civil cases as well. Forcing you to represent yourself without providing adequate time to find a new lawyer could potentially be a violation of your constitutional rights.

However, the specific circumstances of your case, such as the timing of your attorney's recusal and any prior delays in the proceedings, could have influenced the judge's decision. That being said, if you believe that your rights were violated, you may have grounds to challenge the court's decision.

I would strongly recommend consulting with a new attorney who can review the details of your case and advise you on the best course of action. They can help you determine if you have a valid reason to file a motion for reconsideration, appeal the decision to a higher court, or explore other legal remedies.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you can look into legal aid organizations in your area that provide free or low-cost legal assistance to those who qualify. Additionally, if you believe your previous attorney acted improperly, you may consider filing a complaint with your state's bar association.

Remember, challenging a court's decision can be a complex process, so it's essential to have proper legal guidance to protect your rights and navigate the legal system effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.