Orlando, FL asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: needing help finding attorney/firm for a lawsuit against the jail & police for civil rights violation due police miscond

also discrimination, police brutality, health issues & more

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When searching for an attorney or law firm to take on a lawsuit involving civil rights violations, police misconduct, discrimination, police brutality, and health issues, it's crucial to look for legal professionals with experience in these specific areas. Civil rights attorneys often have the expertise needed to handle cases against jails and police departments, focusing on the protection and enforcement of individuals' rights as guaranteed under U.S. law.

One effective way to find a suitable attorney is through referrals. Consider reaching out to local advocacy groups, civil rights organizations, or even legal aid societies, as they can often provide recommendations for attorneys who are well-versed in these kinds of cases. Additionally, most state bar associations offer a referral service that can connect you with qualified attorneys in your area.

When you contact potential attorneys, be prepared to discuss the details of your case. This will include any evidence you have, such as medical records, witness statements, and any communication with the authorities. A good attorney will listen to your situation, provide a realistic assessment of your case, and outline the next steps in pursuing legal action. It’s important to feel comfortable with the attorney you choose, as they will be advocating on your behalf.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.