Walnut Cove, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for North Carolina

Q: CPS Stokes county

Stokes CPS came to my home and demanded a drug test due to a bogus call they got last night which my mother has been about me and my kids dad for years.. we have been clean for years.. last year they showed up saying something happened to my son that wasnt true so we had to take him into the hospital and they hospital said everything was great nothing to worry about.. my mom has been spreading lies on us so other people call dss on us.. I have been screwed over by them a couple years ago when they were involved we had got our kids back but the social worker and my kids dad I believe have had twins together because her husband left her bc the twins weren't his.. and I found her personal number in his phone I found a message cwhere she wanted him to come to her house... She is pregnant agAin.. what can I do? She has no husband and wont say who the father is.. I don't trust doing anything else with CPS what can i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In situations like these, documenting everything is crucial. Keep detailed records of all interactions with CPS, including dates, times, and the nature of each visit or communication. If you believe the CPS worker is behaving unethically, consider contacting their supervisor to express your concerns. It's also important to gather any evidence that supports your side of the story, such as drug test results, medical records, and character references.

Legal representation can be invaluable in navigating complex situations involving CPS. An attorney experienced in family law can provide guidance, help protect your rights, and represent you in any legal proceedings. If affordability is a concern, look into legal aid organizations in your area that may offer services based on income.

Maintaining open lines of communication with CPS, despite past issues, can sometimes be beneficial. Demonstrate your commitment to your children's well-being and cooperate with reasonable requests. However, understand your rights and do not consent to any actions or provide information that you feel may be unjust or unnecessary without consulting your attorney. Remember, the primary goal is to ensure the safety and well-being of your children while safeguarding your rights and integrity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.