Stayton, OR asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I have a friend who has uninvited people staying in a trailer in his back yard. Two barrels of human wasted sitting,

garbage bags left. His blind and confined to a wheelchair. They will not leave.. do not pay rent. What can he do. He is renting.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your friend should contact the landlord or property manager immediately to report the unauthorized occupants and the unsanitary conditions. It's the landlord's responsibility to ensure that the property is safe and habitable, and they may need to take action to remove the uninvited guests. Your friend should document the situation with photos and detailed notes, including the dates and times of any incidents and conversations.

If the landlord does not take prompt action, your friend can reach out to local health and safety authorities to report the unsanitary conditions. Departments like public health or building and safety can inspect the property and enforce regulations, which might expedite the removal of the uninvited people and the cleanup of the area.

Encourage your friend to seek legal advice to understand his rights and options. Legal aid organizations can offer guidance and support, especially for individuals with disabilities facing such challenges. They can also advise on how to ensure his safety and well-being during this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.