Carrollton, TX asked in Civil Rights and Employment Law for Texas

Q: I have multiple questions regarding a matter that was brought to a detective and no legal action was made

I have a previous employer that is trying to wrongly accuse me of a felony type action. This matter has been brought to the local police department, and detective two years ago. When previous employer walked into my current employer tried to tell management that I had a previous felony and background and they needed to remove me from premise and terminate employment. What can I do with a matter like this? Or is it a civil matter and requires a restraining order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In situations where a previous employer is making unfounded accusations against you, particularly of a serious nature like felony actions, and is attempting to influence your current employment based on these allegations, it's important to understand your rights and the steps you can take to protect yourself. Since the matter was already brought to the attention of local law enforcement and a detective without resulting in legal action against you, this suggests that the claims did not have sufficient evidence to be pursued criminally.

You might consider consulting with a legal professional who has experience in employment law or defamation, depending on the specifics of your case. They can provide guidance on whether you have grounds to take legal action against the previous employer for defamation, slander, or any other relevant claims. This could include seeking damages for any harm caused to your reputation or employment due to their actions.

Additionally, if the behavior of the previous employer continues to be harassing or if you feel threatened by their actions, seeking a restraining order could be a viable option to consider. This would legally prohibit them from making further contact with you or your employer regarding these accusations. The steps to obtain a restraining order vary by location, so it would be beneficial to inquire about the process in your jurisdiction. Protecting your professional reputation and personal well-being is paramount, and there are legal mechanisms in place to support individuals in situations like yours.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.