Columbus, OH asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Public Benefits for Ohio

Q: In Ohio if someone receives a section 8 voucher then later is convicted of a felony gun charge will they be terminated?

F3 attempt- revised code 2923.161

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you receive a Section 8 voucher in Ohio and later get convicted of a felony gun charge, such as an F3 attempt under Revised Code 2923.161, this may impact your housing assistance. Generally, the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) has rules that allow for termination of assistance if a member of the household violates certain laws, including felony convictions related to violent crimes or drug-related offenses. However, the decision can vary based on specific circumstances and the policies of the local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

Your local PHA will review the case, considering factors such as the nature and severity of the offense, the time elapsed since the conviction, and the impact on the safety of other residents. It's important to communicate openly with your PHA and provide any relevant information or mitigating factors that may influence their decision.

If you find yourself in this situation, you may want to seek legal advice or assistance from a legal aid organization. They can provide guidance on your rights and any possible steps you can take to appeal the decision if your housing assistance is terminated. Remember, each case is unique, and there may be avenues for you to challenge the decision or demonstrate rehabilitation that could affect the outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.