Gulf Breeze, FL asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: What do you do if forced. Under the threat of of bodily and family harm to sign a Florida quick deed?

I was forced to sign a quick deed to property that I own. By a Ex-prison con artist who kept threatening my and still is threatening my family. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you were coerced into signing a quitclaim deed under threats, it's important to take immediate action to protect yourself and your family. The first step is to contact law enforcement to report the threats and the coercion. They can offer protection and advice on how to proceed safely. Documenting all interactions with the individual making threats, including dates, times, and the nature of the threats, can be crucial for any legal actions.

Next, consult with an attorney who has experience in real estate and possibly criminal law. They can help you understand your legal options for challenging the validity of the deed. Under law, contracts or agreements signed under duress or through coercion are not valid. Your attorney can guide you through the process of filing a legal challenge to the quitclaim deed and can advise on any additional legal remedies available to you, such as a restraining order against the individual threatening you.

It's also recommended to reach out to a trusted family member or friend for support during this time. Dealing with threats and legal challenges can be overwhelming, and having a support system can provide emotional and practical help. Remember, taking action swiftly is crucial in such situations to safeguard your rights and well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.