Grants Pass, OR asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: How and when do I make my case for 2x damages? And was does it mean to file my judgement?

I won a retaliatory eviction cames against my landlord on appeal. The judges decision was to return property to me.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To make your case for 2x damages, you should present evidence and arguments at the appropriate stage in your legal proceedings, often during the damages phase after liability has been established. This typically involves submitting detailed documentation of your losses and arguing how they meet the legal criteria for enhanced damages. Timing can vary based on local laws and the specifics of your case, so it's crucial to adhere to the deadlines and guidelines set by the court.

"Filing your judgment" means submitting the final decision from your appeal to the appropriate court to have it officially recorded and enforceable. This step is essential for implementing the judge's decision to return the property to you and pursuing any damages awarded. The process usually involves filling out specific forms and may require the assistance of court staff or legal counsel.

Since you won a retaliatory eviction case on appeal, consult with your legal representative to ensure all necessary steps are followed correctly and promptly. They can guide you on how to file the judgment and make a compelling case for double damages, based on the specifics of your situation and local regulations. Always keep track of all relevant documents and communications to support your claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.