St Louis, MO asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Missouri

Q: Must a land owner provide a vehicular ingress and egress tqo a piece of landlocked property ?

Does Missouri law not state that if your property is landlocked and you have no means of gaining access that you have the right to a vehicular ingress and egress ? Even in a private subdivision . The board of trustees has told me I am banned from driving in on their roads to get to my property which is 3.5 miles , they tell me I can walk , even though I paid my assessments for the year which are for access to all he coming ground areas , they refuse to even prorate my assessments for the time left of the fiscal year. As well they came into my property accusing me of something I did not do , so I told them to get the F off my property then I received a fine of $400 , for verbally abusing the staff , that came onto my property ! And prior they banned .e from all common ground use because a truck that sits on my property but does not belong to me was being driven by someone else not me , yet they banned me cause the plates were expired, i was not driving, not my truck.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Missouri, as in many other places, if your property is landlocked, you may indeed have the right to vehicular ingress and egress. This is generally intended to ensure that every property owner has access to their land. The specifics can vary based on local laws and the exact circumstances of the property, but typically, a legal pathway, known as an easement, can be established for this purpose.

However, the situation within a private subdivision can be complex due to the governance of the homeowners' association or the board of trustees. While you have rights as a property owner, subdivisions may have agreements or covenants that also need to be considered. If you have been paying assessments, it suggests there is a contractual relationship in place, which might include the right to access common areas and roads.

It's recommended to review the terms of your property deed and any agreements with the subdivision. If there are disputes or unclear terms regarding access to your property, you might consider seeking advice from a legal professional experienced in real estate law. They can provide guidance specific to your situation, review the legal documents involved, and help address the issue with the board of trustees or through legal channels if necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.