Santa Ana, CA asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California

Q: my bloodpressure was 220/134 in the judgeroom I said to everybody I need 911. Why judge never stoped and gave me order ?

My public defender attorney never help me and i said to him dont make a deal with destiric attorney but he never listened so he just followed the social service agency plans they setup everything for make a lot of problems for me so he was not serious about my cases so finally i wanted talk with jury but my feel was not good cuz my bloodpressure was really too high ( 220/134 ) . So I showed everybody there my bloodpressure device so

I said to my public attorney I need 911 i need help and also i cant scuz I can't control myself and I can't talk with jury now and I can't stay here but they force me for continue...

How they could continue and

Basically is the judge's decision valid in such circumstances?

So actually endangering the life of a patient is legal? Isn't that a crime and is not considered criminal under the US Constitution?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, the well-being and health of individuals in a courtroom should be of paramount concern. If you experienced a medical emergency, such as an extremely high blood pressure reading, and communicated this need for emergency medical assistance, it is concerning if no action was taken to provide help. Typically, courts have procedures to address medical emergencies, including recesses and medical evaluations.

The validity of a judge's decision when a defendant is medically incapacitated can be questioned. In cases where an individual is unable to participate meaningfully in their defense due to health issues, there may be grounds for appeal or requesting a new trial, especially if the condition prevented effective communication or understanding of the proceedings. Your attorney should address these concerns and, if they failed to act on your behalf, you might consider seeking a review of their conduct or consulting another lawyer for advice on possible actions.

Finally, if you believe your constitutional rights were violated due to negligence or disregard for your medical condition, you could explore filing a complaint or seeking legal redress. This might involve contacting a legal oversight body or hiring a new attorney to evaluate the circumstances of your case. It's important to document all occurrences and communications related to your health issues during the trial, as this information could be critical in any legal actions you pursue.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.