Magalia, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: Can I sell a vehicle after getting pulled over in it for expired registration & unlicensed driver, but before court?

Is it legal to sell a vehicle I was pulled over in for expired registration & unlicensed driver, before I'm scheduled for court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, being cited for expired registration or driving without a valid license does not automatically restrict your ability to sell the vehicle. The vehicle itself is not implicated in the legal issues of your driving status or its registration at the time you were pulled over. Therefore, technically, you can sell the vehicle even if you are awaiting a court appearance for these matters.

However, before selling the vehicle, ensure that any registration issues are addressed. The buyer will need a vehicle that is properly registered, and resolving these issues can help avoid complications during the sale process. Additionally, you must inform the buyer of any known issues with the vehicle, including any that pertain to registration or legal compliance.

Finally, be sure to complete the necessary paperwork and procedures for transferring ownership of the vehicle according to California law. This includes transferring the title and notifying the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) about the sale. It's important to adhere to these legal requirements to avoid further legal issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.