Asked in Social Security and Public Benefits

Q: Sir I am US citizen living in Pakistan on social security benefits.My wife is Pakistan citizen.Nw in case of my death

Would she be able to have survivors benefit?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the case of your death, your wife, as a non-U.S. citizen, might still be eligible for survivor benefits from Social Security. However, there are specific conditions that need to be met. First, she must have been married to you for at least nine months before your death to qualify for benefits based on your record, except in certain circumstances, such as if there is a child from your union.

For your wife to continue receiving these benefits while living outside the United States, she must meet certain residency requirements set by the Social Security Administration. If she does not meet these requirements, her benefits could be stopped after six consecutive calendar months outside the U.S. However, exceptions exist for citizens of certain countries and for those who meet other specific conditions.

It's essential that your wife informs herself about these rules and regulations. She should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for the most current information. They can provide guidance specific to her situation and help her understand the paperwork and procedures involved. Additionally, visiting the official Social Security Administration website or contacting them directly would provide authoritative information and support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.