Public Benefits Questions & Answers by State

Public Benefits Questions & Answers

Q: Is it right for anyone take video or pictures of me and family ? And make funny things of me in snapchat.Thanks

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Public Benefits, Social Security and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Nov 17, 2017

It's OK to take your picture in public, and post it, as long as they didn't libel you.

Please visit my website and Subscribe for updates on Oklahoma Law.
View Details »

Q: DV Lottery: Will I be considered a public charge if I cannot do regular jobs because of hearing loss?

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits, Immigration Law and Civil Rights on
Answered on Nov 7, 2017

Having hearing loss in and of itself will not trigger any public charge bars. With regards to your question regarding assistance for people with disabilities: There are certainly programs to help people with disabilities. Some may help in ways that are useful to people relocating to the US. These are not government programs but rather non-profits. There are no government programs for people relocating to the US except for those who came as refugees.
View Details »

Q: This is about a close friend who is on disability. Can you help?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Personal Injury, Public Benefits and Social Security for Missouri on
Answered on Nov 3, 2017

If the letter is from CMS then it should have a notice about a right to assert a waiver of overpayment. Your friend needs to contact the local Legal Services office.
View Details »

Q: I'm 16 and pregnant. Am I allowed to sign up for food stamps by myself? My moms trying to take them and call them hers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Florida on
Answered on Oct 9, 2017

I think your mother is right. She has the duty to support you and thus your food stamp application would probably be in her behalf.
View Details »

Q: brother passed single no kids, mom died no beneficiary next of kin dad never known him, california sis took care of him

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Public Benefits and Probate for California on
Answered on Sep 20, 2017

I'm sorry, but without a will, the brother's sole heir is his father.
View Details »

Q: What does the wisconsin statue 178 state?

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Public Benefits for Wisconsin on
Answered on Sep 6, 2017

This is a link to Chapter 178 of the Wisconsin Statutes:
View Details »

Q: My ex received welfare and I lived with him at the time. Social Services filed a case against me to be reimbursed.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for California on
Answered on Aug 23, 2017

You need to file a claim with the California franchise tax board to receive your money back. Gather your evidence together to show that you were not receiving public aid at the time and that any income you had was your own, and that is what you were using to support yourself. If you were married at the time, however, California community property law provides that any debt incurred during the marriage is jointly owned by both husband and wife. So if your husband sought and received welfare...
View Details »

Q: If you are in a government program and you follow all the guidelines and do everything the program has asked and you

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Public Benefits for Florida on
Answered on Aug 19, 2017

There is simply not enough information to answer your question. Also. Your situation appears to be very fact specific as well. Your need to consult with an attorney in your area face to face.
View Details »

Q: My 86 year old mother was raised as Ann, her mothers name-her birth certificate however, is Margaret

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for New York on
Answered on Aug 16, 2017

Name changes are meant to be done yourself, i.e. DIY or pro se. The clerk in Civil Court in the Bronx (assuming that is where your mother lives) has the forms. It is easy.
View Details »

Q: In court language anchorage ak what does just 3AN-P mean or represent.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Landlord - Tenant and Public Benefits for Alaska on
Answered on Aug 11, 2017

It could be part of the case number.

3 = Third Judicial District

AN = Municipality of Anchorage

P = probate (?)
View Details »

Q: Can a husband, collecting disability, get an early pension, or lump sum pension, without his wife's signature? NY

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Employment Law and Public Benefits for New York on
Answered on Jul 24, 2017

Is there a divorce pending in either state? If so, this needs to be dealt with in the context of a divorce action. If not, typically the pension plan requires the agreement of the spouse when elections concerning the pension are made. However, if you're the wife, I wouldn't rely on that. No matter which spouse you are, you should discuss this with an experienced family law attorney in your area before taking further action.
View Details »

Q: Can you Bill the state if the court asks you to take a unrinalist test 30 miles from where you live .

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Civil Rights for California on
Answered on Jul 23, 2017

The short answer is no. If you are ordered to take a urine test by a court, the court is a function of the county where you reside. The state has nothing to do with it.
View Details »

Q: If a warrant is issued for the arrest of a person, can I make a citizen's arrest?

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Criminal Law for Colorado on
Answered on Jul 11, 2017

Citizen arrests in Colorado are allowed in two situations: (1) the perpetrator committed the crime in the alleged crime in the private citizen's IMMEDIATE physical presence or (2) if assistance is requested by a police officer in the officer's immediate physical presence. Failure to meet either of these safe harbors will likely result in criminal charges of assault/battery and/or kidnapping/unlawful detainer.
View Details »

Q: permanent disability cheque from state fund every 14 days in my hand or every 14 days they mail it out

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Public Benefits for California on
Answered on Jul 11, 2017

No one can guarantee when the postal service will put a disability check in your hand. If the State Fund offers direct deposit, get it. No waiting for the postman.
View Details »

Q: Creating a Scholarship

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Education Law for California on
Answered on Jul 5, 2017

Why not just donate the money? Are you planning on making this scholarship a yearly one? Have you considered forming a non-profit business entity for this purpose, or perhaps working through the "giving" school to donate the money to them and have them earmark it with your purpose in mind? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards,...
View Details »

Q: How can I get my kids back??

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights and Public Benefits for New York on
Answered on Jun 22, 2017

Who's taking the kids and why? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not...
View Details »

Q: If my worker's comp case is settled and a check should be coming to me in the mail w/i 30 days, should I be anxious?

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Public Benefits for California on
Answered on Jun 14, 2017

Don't be anxious. Just keep in mind you save the envelope in which the check comes. Open any envelope from the comp insurance carrier with great care, preserving the post mark showing the date it was mailed. You might have to produce that post-marked envelope for a judge in the coming weeks, so make certain it is readable. If the check is late, check the date on the Order Approving the settlement from the judge, and the date the defense attorney got the order. If the defense...
View Details »

Q: Hello, do I need a permit to advertise about an event that my non-profit is hosting? We have flyers and other papers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Public Benefits for Pennsylvania on
Answered on May 30, 2017

The answer to this question depends upon the county where you will be distributing the flyers. Even though you are not selling anything, the township may deem that handing out the flyers is a form of soliciting contributions, and there are townships that require permits for such an activity.
View Details »

Q: If your deceased parent own a house and all you have is a court ordered paternity test to prove relation can you get it

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Public Benefits and Probate for Michigan on
Answered on May 30, 2017

My suggestion is that you hire a probate attorney. While there might be a court ordered paternity test, was there ever an order entered stating he was the biological father? Was there a wife who survived the decedent? Was there a Will? These are the questions which must be answered and that's why you should hire a probate attorney.
View Details »

Q: If my parenral rights were terminated in state of Tennessee is it possible to regain some or all my rights back. I

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits, Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee on
Answered on May 23, 2017

No legal option, consider approaching the parents and begging for visits. Agree to anything they offer (anything is better than nothing). All you can do at this point is try to have some contact and begin a relationship with the child. If they won't allow it, you have to wait until the child turns 18, and then you can approach the child ( and they grow up fast).
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.