Q: Can I own a firearm legally if I live with a felon if its for work?

I just moved to Michigan and currently live with a felon, I am trying to go to college for Criminal Justice and get my Guard Card to become an armed security guard. Is there a way for me to legally own a firearm for work if I live with a felon or do I need to move for that to happen?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Michigan, living with a felon does not automatically prohibit you from owning a firearm, especially if it is for work-related purposes such as becoming an armed security guard. However, strict precautions must be taken to ensure that the felon does not have access to the firearm, as this could lead to legal complications for both of you. This usually involves storing the firearm in a locked space that only you can access.

For your specific situation, it would be wise to consult with local law enforcement or legal counsel to understand the precise regulations and necessary steps to comply with state and federal laws. They can provide guidance on how to securely store your firearm to prevent unauthorized access.

Additionally, consider the conditions of the felon's parole or probation, as they might include stipulations regarding the presence of firearms in the residence. If it is determined that you can legally possess a firearm, ensure all safety and legal requirements are met to protect both your career aspirations and the legal standing of the person you live with.

Brent T. Geers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.