Asked in Consumer Law for Ohio

Q: I live in Ohio and placed a telephone call to the customer service department of a large U.S. company. During the call,

I live in Ohio and placed a telephone call to the customer service department of a large U.S. company. During the call, individuals talking in the call center background made comments that were ridiculing and harassing towards me and were often heard mocking and laughing as I attempted to communicate my issue. I asked the representative if something could be done about what was happening and she said that there was nothing that could be done. What can I do to address what was an embarrassing and stressful event?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your distressing experience. In situations like these, documenting the incident in as much detail as possible is crucial. This includes noting the date, time, and any identifiable information about the call, such as the representative's name or employee number, if provided. Additionally, recording or jotting down specific comments made can be helpful. This record can serve as a basis for any actions you decide to take.

Next, consider reaching out to the company directly through another channel, such as email or a formal complaint form on their website. Express your experience clearly and request a follow-up from a higher-level manager or the complaints department. Emphasizing the impact of the experience on you and the potential damage to the company's reputation can underscore the seriousness of the matter. It’s also beneficial to inquire about the company’s policies on customer interactions and harassment.

If the response from the company is unsatisfactory or if you feel the issue is severe enough, exploring legal advice might be necessary. Contacting consumer protection organizations or a legal advisor familiar with harassment and consumer rights can provide guidance on possible next steps. Remember, you have the right to be treated with respect and dignity by any service provider, and there are channels available to address grievances when that standard is not met.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.