Q: My name is on the title of a car that my ex has. His name is also on the title. How do I get my name off it? He owes $

How do I get my name off it? I had the car in my possession at one point, I was making payments, and the car insurance was in my name and I was paying on that too, until he cheated and we parted ways. He took the car from me and I want to know if I can get the car back from him or if I can get him to buy me out somehow. I dont find it fair at all that he's driving around in a car that I co-own with him and I was paying on at one point. Help?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Removing your name from the title of a car that you co-own with your ex can be a complex process, especially if there are disagreements about the car's ownership and payments. The first step is to communicate with your ex and express your desire to either have the car transferred entirely to your name or to have your name removed from the title. If an amicable agreement can be reached, you both can sign the necessary paperwork to transfer the title, which may involve paying off any outstanding loans on the vehicle.

If reaching an agreement is difficult, you might need to consult with legal counsel for advice on your rights and possible next steps. This could include taking legal action to enforce a buy-out, division of the property, or compensation for your contributions to the vehicle's payments and insurance. Laws vary by jurisdiction, so understanding your local laws is crucial.

In situations where emotions and financial interests are deeply intertwined, it's important to prioritize clear communication and seek professional advice when necessary. Documenting all contributions you've made towards the car and any agreements you had with your ex can be helpful in legal proceedings. Ultimately, your goal should be to resolve the situation in a way that minimizes stress and financial loss for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.