Oceanside, CA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: Low income in need of a family law lawyer.

I’m in search of a low income lawyer that’s able to help with my divorce along with child support. It’s been an ongoing battle for almost 4 hrs and my ex recently got a lawyer and I’m scared that he will take the kids away since I’m proper and he has a lawyer. Any recommendations or any info is appreciated. I’m a full time student currently and share 50/50 on paper but I have my kids about 90% of the time. It’s just recently he actually started exercising his right to the 50/50 since dcss told him how much he had to pay in chil support. In addition he has failed about 3 times with our agreed schedule since we started doing the 50/50. I’ve reached out to legal aid and I was told since it’s an ongoing case they can’t really help me. So I’m hoping someone is willing to help or know someone. Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I understand your situation and the stress you must be going through. Here are some resources and options you can consider in California:

1. Family Law Facilitators: Each county in California has a Family Law Facilitator's office that provides free legal assistance to individuals who are representing themselves in family law matters, including divorce and child support. They can help you fill out forms and provide general legal information.

2. Self-Help Centers: Many courthouses in California have Self-Help Centers that provide free legal information and assistance to individuals who are representing themselves in court. They may be able to guide you through the process and help you prepare your case.

3. Pro Bono Attorneys: Some attorneys offer free (pro bono) or low-cost services to low-income individuals. Contact your local bar association or legal aid organization to inquire about pro bono programs in your area.

4. Legal Clinics: Some law schools and legal organizations offer free or low-cost legal clinics where you can receive advice and assistance from law students or volunteer attorneys.

5. Unbundled Legal Services: Some attorneys offer "unbundled" services, which means they will help you with specific tasks (such as reviewing documents or providing legal advice) without taking on your entire case. This can be a more affordable option.

Remember to gather all relevant documents, such as your current parenting agreement, proof of your income and expenses, and any communication with your ex-partner regarding the schedule and child support.

If you believe your children's well-being is at risk or your ex-partner is not following the agreed-upon schedule, document these incidents and consider seeking a modification of the custody agreement.

I hope this information helps you find the assistance you need. Stay strong and don't hesitate to reach out for help during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.