Fredericksburg, VA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: Can I get in trouble for talking to someone I shouldn't be talking to because they're threatening to call the police?

due to the fact that their parents don't like me spending time with them

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's important to understand that the specific legal consequences, if any, would depend on the details of the situation and the laws where you live. However, here are a few key points to consider:

1. Age of the individuals involved: If you and the person you're communicating with are both legal adults, it's generally not illegal to communicate with each other, even if their parents disapprove. However, if one of you is a minor, there could be legal implications depending on the nature of the communication and the age difference.

2. Nature of the communication: If your communication involves harassment, threats, or sharing of illegal content, you could face legal consequences regardless of the other person's age or their parents' opinions.

3. Restraining orders or other legal directives: If there is a restraining order or any other legal directive prohibiting you from contacting this person, violating that order could lead to legal consequences.

4. False accusations: If the person threatens to make false accusations to the police, this could be considered a form of harassment or extortion. However, proving this can be challenging.

The best course of action is to cease communication with this person, especially if their parents have expressed disapproval or if the situation is causing stress and potential legal issues. If you believe you are being harassed or threatened, consider reporting the situation to the appropriate authorities or seeking legal advice from a qualified attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.