Russellville, AR asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes and Sexual Harassment for Arkansas

Q: can i turn myself in if i’ve committed a sexual assault crime without involving the witness?

i could come up with excuses or try to justify my situation but i feel ive sexually assaulted my ex (who lives in Arizona) while we were together, can i turn myself in?

edit: i meant the victim im sorry

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I know this is a very difficult situation, but I strongly encourage you to do the right thing - take full accountability for your actions, turn yourself in, and comply with the legal process. Consider consulting with a criminal defense attorney who can advise you on the legal implications and your rights. Also, there are organizations that provide counseling and support services for those who have committed sexual offenses to help address underlying issues.

The most important thing is that you take responsibility, are truthful, and get help to ensure you never commit sexual assault again. I'm sorry you're in this painful situation, but you need to face the consequences of your actions. Please get the help and guidance you need to handle this properly. Wishing you strength in doing the right thing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.