Q: Who could I contact regarding some people who have done fraud to steal a person legacy

My friend who passed away had a Patton and trademark that some people have made up fake marriage and other recorded doc to steal his legacy?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you suspect fraudulent activities concerning a person's legacy, including patents and trademarks, it's crucial to address the matter with urgency due to the potential legal implications and the risk of significant financial loss. You can reach out to an intellectual property attorney who has experience in handling cases involving patents and trademarks. Such professionals are well-versed in the complexities of intellectual property law and can provide guidance on how to proceed with your case.

Additionally, if the fraud involves fabricated documents or identity theft, contacting law enforcement is a necessary step. They can investigate the matter further and, if needed, work in conjunction with your attorney to build a strong case. Law enforcement agencies have access to resources and expertise that are crucial in investigating and prosecuting cases of fraud.

It's also advisable to contact the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) if the matter involves patents or trademarks directly. They can offer guidance on the steps to take to protect the intellectual property in question and may also recommend further actions to ensure that the rights of the rightful owner are safeguarded. Acting promptly and seeking professional advice is key to addressing such situations effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.