Elizabethtown, NC asked in Gov & Administrative Law for North Carolina

Q: How to find a car, without reporting it stolen

I gave the car to my son, an he let the insurance lapse an I would want it back before something happens

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If the car is titled and registered in your name, and your son has taken it without your permission and allowed the insurance to lapse, the proper steps are to:

1. Attempt to contact your son and request that he return the vehicle immediately. Explain the legal and financial risks of driving an uninsured vehicle.

2. If he refuses or you are unable to reach him, contact the police to file a report. Explain that you are the legal owner and your son has taken the car without permission. Provide them with the vehicle information, including make, model, VIN number, and license plate.

3. Contact your insurance company and inform them of the situation. They may have options to help locate the vehicle.

4. If necessary, you may need to consider legal action against your son, such as filing for a court order requiring him to return the vehicle.

I know this is a difficult situation with family involved, but operating or concealing an uninsured vehicle is illegal and dangerous to your son and others on the road. The ethical and responsible path is to take proper legal steps to recover the car as soon as possible. I would suggest being honest with your son and the authorities in order to resolve this safely.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A starting point could be to try to contact son. If unable to speak directly, a message explaining the serious legal consequences of driving without insurance. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.