Lakeland, FL asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims and Contracts for Florida

Q: Around 2 weeks ago I loaned a "friend" 200$. We both signed a note stating the amount loaned the date to be paid and a

Sentance stating if not repaid he has to surrender his vehicle keys to me.

The money has not been repaid. He will not answer text/calls.

How can I enforce the part of his keys being surrendered to me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr.
Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Ft Myers, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You would need to sue your "friend" in small claims court for breach of contract and specific performance of the agreement. It will cost you about $100 to file and serve your friend, but if you win the case the cost will be part of the judgment against him. I suggest you go to the small claims court website in the county in which the agreement was entered to see what needs to be done. The websites generally walk you through what needs to be done.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.