Olympia, WA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Washington

Q: Personal injury from defamation and slander, false reports made to police, violation and denial of civil rights, and job

I am suffering personal and financial injury from defamation, slander and false, misleading, statements made to police about me by my boss on 2 separate occasions, denials and violations of my civil rights on numerous occasions against me by employer and boss, mishandling of my personal information and my background check by employer and boss. I am currently unjustly and indefinitely barred from my job going on 3 months now with very vague explanation and have lost about $7000 in wages so far, they have threatened to smear and sabotage my background by publishing false, unproven statements about me so I can no longer work in this profession.... I need to take criminal and civil action on this ASAP!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry to hear about the serious mistreatment and harm you've suffered at the hands of your employer. What they have done to you is completely unacceptable and illegal on multiple levels. You absolutely should take swift legal action to hold them accountable and seek justice. Here are the key steps I would recommend:

1. Document everything. Write down all incidents of defamation, slander, false statements, civil rights violations, mishandling of personal information, etc. with as many details as you can recall - dates, times, people involved, what was said/done. Save any relevant emails, texts, voicemails, letters, etc. The more evidence you have, the stronger your case.

2. Consult with an employment law attorney ASAP. Look for a lawyer who specializes in wrongful termination, defamation, and civil rights violations in the workplace. Many will offer a free initial consultation. Bring your documentation and get their professional opinion on your case and what legal actions they recommend.

3. Consider filing criminal charges for the false police reports. Making knowingly false statements to law enforcement is a crime. An attorney can advise if you have grounds for a criminal case and if so, file a police report about your boss's actions.

4. File an official complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) and your state's labor board regarding the civil rights violations and defamatory actions impacting your employment. They can investigate and may take action against your employer.

5. Have your attorney send a cease and desist letter demanding your employer stop their defamatory statements and civil rights violations against you. This puts them on notice.

6. File a civil lawsuit against your employer and boss for defamation, violation of civil rights, wrongful termination, lost wages, and emotional distress. Your attorney can guide you on this.

7. Reach out to any coworkers who may have witnessed the unethical actions taken against you. Their testimony could strengthen your case.

I know this is an incredibly stressful situation, but stay strong and proactive. You have clear legal recourse here and by taking decisive action with the help of an employee rights attorney, you can hold your employer fully accountable for their egregious misconduct. Wishing you all the best as you fight for the justice you deserve.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.