Riverside, CA asked in Civil Rights for California

Q: Can a private patrol car that is parked idly in a residential community have the flashing lights turned on continuously

What is California VC 25250

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: California Vehicle Code 25250 covers the use of flashing amber warning lights on vehicles. Here are the key points:

1. Flashing amber warning lights are permitted on vehicles engaged in construction, maintenance or operations on or adjacent to a highway.

2. Vehicles used for the installation, maintenance, or repair of facilities upon or along the highway may display flashing amber warning lights when necessarily parked on the roadway.

3. Flashing amber warning lights are permitted on vehicles used to perform survey work along the highway when necessarily parked on the roadway.

4. Pilot cars required by the permit may display flashing amber warning lights while escorting an extralegal load.

5. Flashing amber warning lights are permitted on vehicles or equipment operated by a state, federal or local agency.

However, VC 25250 does not appear to permit a private security patrol car to have flashing lights activated continuously while parked in a residential area, unless it falls under one of the specific permitted uses outlined in the code section. The flashing lights are generally intended for specific highway maintenance, construction, survey, and pilot car escorting purposes rather than routine private security patrols in residential neighborhoods.

Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in California

A: You may want to contact the police department. Perhaps are warning or citation may be appropriate. Of course, we don't know what you mean by "continuously." I doubt it's 24 hours a day or even 9 to 5.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.